Me and The Motorcycle

I have a bad habit. Every time I'm in the car and the car is moving, I always get sleepy. It doesn't matter what vehicle I'm in (bus, angkot or a car) Especially when I have to go for a long trip. (My father said I have been like this since I was a child.) I have tried many things to stay awake during the trip such as: eat snacks or candy, talk to my husband, even sing a song. But none seems to work. Actually, it wouldn't have been a problem if my husband hadn't sold our car. Now, we don't have a car. Instead, we have a motorcycle.

I don't like motorcycle. People say motorcycle is faster and cheaper than car, but I still don't like motorcycle. Many years ago, I fell from a motorcycle because of some stupid kid who thinks he could ride the motorcycle. That is probably the reason why I don't like motorcycle. Anyway.. I have to face the fact that now we only have the motorcycle.

"OK.." I said to myself. "Hopefully, I won't sleep on the motorcycle." So My husband took me to work with the motorcycle, and to my surprise, I didn't feel sleepy at all. I stayed awake the whole time. But it only takes about 30 minutes to work, so I can't feel relieved yet. "What if the trip takes longer that that? Could I stay awake?" I asked my self.

Then, on Idul Fitri, we had to go to our relative's house...in Jakarta. My husband said the trip could take about one hour (or more..if we were trapped in the traffic jam). So, I prepared myself. Before our departure, I get some sleep.

Well, I gladly said that I was successful this time. Although the trip actually took 2 hours because of the traffic jam, I didn't feel sleepy at all. But later I found out that my triumph was way too soon, because on the way back home I almost fell asleep. This is very dangerous.. because you might lose your balance when you are asleep. "Oh no. I'm back to square one." I said to myself. And it happened several times more... Until one day I accidently got the solution.

When my father had
a family gathering with his brothers and sisters, my husband and I had to come to his house. We were supposed to stay there the night before, but my husband couldn't leave the house. So we left early in the morning..with the motorcycle. Suddenly, we had a flat tire. Certainly, we had to stop and fixed it. We had to walk for awhile before we could find a person who could fix the flat tire. Then, we continue the trip.

Unfortunately, it happened twice. We got a flat tire again. While waiting for the motorcycle being repaired, I said to myself,"OK. What lesson can I get here?" I believe that every cloud has a silver lining. There must be something good here. Then it came to me. I wasn't sleepy because we had to stop twice. That means, all I have to do is ask my husband to stop and take a rest whenever I feel sleepy.

Now, I can be relax and enjoy the trip more. Whenever I feel sleepy, we will stop and take a rest. It takes longer time to get to our destination. But It's definitly safer for me.

Comments

Popular Posts