Healthy Food vs Delicious Food



I love food, I love to cook it and I love to eat it. When I was in high school, I ate almost everything. Fried food, pizza, spaghetti, all kinds of noodle, cakes, cookies..etc. You named it, I've eaten it. At that time my motto was,"As long as it's not poisonous or tastes bad, I'll eat it".

It happened because high school was the time when I could have some money and spent it for anything that I like. When I was in elementary school, my mother never gave me any money. She prepared my lunch instead. In junior high school, I started to have my own allowance, but I was too afraid to spend the money. So I spent the money very carefully and didn't use it to buy food. High school was the time for me to use the money for whatever I like. Besides, I got more pressure in high school, so I used food to make me relax. I did eat vegetables and fruits, but I preferred the other unhealthy food because it tasted more delicious. As a result of my hobby, I became overweight.

When I was in college, I started reading articles about health. I learned that overweight and obese people are actually in danger. They have more risk to get many kinds of degenerate diseases such as high blood pressure, heart disease, heart attack, stroke, cancer...etc, than those who are not overweight. I also learned that eating fruits and vegetables is very good for our health. So, I started to eat a lot of vegetables and fruits instead of the unhealthy but delicious food.

Not for long, I could see the result. I lost some weight, and I was quite happy about it. But then I got my first 'broken heart'. My world turned upside down. I lost my mind and couldn't think clearly. I lost my desire to live. I never thought of killing myself, though, I just couldn't enjoy my life. So, I turned to food to make me feel better (pretty stupid, huh?). And you know what happen? Yes, I became overweight again. This time, I was heavier than when I was in high school.

So I was back to square one. When I got my sanity back, I have to start another program to loose my weight. I realize now, that this habit is a problem for me. It seems that whenever I have problems, I will turn to food instead of trying to solve my problem. But the good thing was, in this period of my life, I also learned about exercising.

Well, exercise is another problem for me. I have to admit that I'm lazy. The idea of getting up early in the morning and doing some exercise doesn't thrill me. Let alone, go to the gym and do the exercise for hours. So, I bought some work out CD's instead, and do the exercise whenever I 'm in the mood to exercise.

Now, I'm married and happy, although I still have problem with my weight. I still struggle to lose weight, but I'm a lot wiser this time. Recently, I have learned that healthy food can also be delicious. I have some cook books that teach me how to cook healthy and delicious food. Yes, we can have healthy and delicious food at the same time. I still eat the 'delicious food' I've mentioned earlier, but I eat them only once in a while, on certain occasion. Most of the time, I try to eat healthy food now.

I still have the 'I-turn-to-food-whenever-I'm-upset' habit, but this time, I prepare a lot of fruits in my fridge. So, whenever I'm upset about something, I eat the fruit. I also drink a lot of water and do some exercise. Well, I have'nt got my ideal weight back, but I'm enjoying my life now by eating wisely.

Comments

Popular Posts