Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover

Some people do judge us from our appearance, whether we like it or not. That's why, one who wants to get a job, must pay attention to his/her appearance, especially on the interviewing day.

But I have different opinion about this. I agree with the proverb," Don't judge a book by its cover". Based on my experience, appearance can be deceiving. Take my husband for an example. When I met him for the first time--in my first year of college-- I had no idea who he was. I didn't know who his father was, or whether he was rich or not. To me he was just an ordinary boy who came from Bandung to study in Jakarta. He didn't even try to look neat when he came to the campus.

Later on, after we became closer, I got the chance to know him better. I found out that his father was a..what do you call that? a general..or something like that.. It turned out that he was quite rich and.. he could drive. (I didn't know why, but for some reasons, he told me that he couldn't drive). If I were not mistaken, none of his friends knew that his father was a general, not until we were in the second year.

I didn't really care about those things. Although I had to admit that at that time he looked so shabby that nobody would ever guess that he is rich. I remember when my sister, who went to the same college with me, ask me this question," Did your boyfriend even take a shower before he went to college? He looks so shabby." Well, what can I say. I think he enjoyed his appearance. As long as he dressed properly to the occasion, it doesn't matter to me. What is important to me is his attitude.

And I am right. Now he has proved me that he is a nice, loving and responsible husband for me. Although, up until now, he still enjoys his 'shabby' looks. Oh, well... we can never get everything we want, right?

My sister, on the other hand, is not as lucky as I am. When she met her husband, his first appearance was quite promising. At that time, he had a job, he looked diligent, nice, neat and kind. He always wanted to help my sister or my mother. He liked to brag about his achievements. Unfortunately, after several years of marriage, his true color showed up. He is lazy, a big-spender, arrogant and selfish. He quit his job right before he got married to my sister and lived as if he were a king in my father's house. Luckily for me, now both of them are not in my father's house anymore. They have moved to his parents' house.

So, don't judge a book by its cover. Don't judge a person from his/her appearance because appearance can be deceiving.

Comments

Popular Posts