It Is Important To Have A Dream

When I was a kid, I had more than one dreams. Once, I wanted to be a kindergarten teacher, because my teacher at that time was very sweet and kind to us--the students. At another time I wanted to be a doctor, because doctors help people. It is a very noble job. Then I wanted to be an engineer, because my father is an engineer. I even wanted to be a merchant, because I saw a street vendor offering his merchandise in a very interesting way.

Now, as a teacher, I am confused to see most of my students don't even have a dream. They are living in this moment, never worry or think about their future. Their ambition is just about getting the newest stuff so they can brag about it in front of their friends. Only a few students can answer the question,"What do you want to be in the future?"

I don't know what's wrong with the young generation, but based on my experience, having a dream is very important. When we want something badly, we will do whatever it takes to get it. That's why it is important to have a dream. Our dreams are the motivation for us, so we will do our best during the process to reach our dream. Without a dream, one doesn't have a goal or a destination in his/her life. The person probably doesn't want to do anything to improve his/her life.

I have read a novel, Laskar Pelangi, which tells a story about a poor boy from Belitong who had an amazing life. He had a dream to continue his study to Europe and see a beautiful place there, which was almost impossible for him because his family is very poor. But he believed in his dream and and did whatever it takes to reach his dream. He worked almost all day and night but still got the time to study. Finally he got a scholarship and went to Europe! What a remarkable story! And the novel was written based on a true story. So it is possible to reach a dream, no matter how impossible the dream seems.

I remembered the difficult times in college, when I was studying to get my bachelor's degree. There were even times when I thought about giving up, but I did not surrender to that thought. I decided to finish my study, because my goal was to show my responsibility to my parents that I could finish what I have started. And because my dream is to become an engineer. Without that dream, I probably have given up.

Now, I have another dream, and I am still in the process of reaching that dream. When I face difficulties, I just think about the good times and the satisfaction I will have when I have reached my dream. Thinking about my dream can boost my spirit so I don't give up easily. So, as I said earlier, it is important to have a dream. Don't be affraid to have a dream.

Comments

Popular Posts